Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The Blue Rooster Food Company


5 Dana Street
Portland, Maine  04101
(207) 747-4157


On August 17th my buddy John and I were in Portland because I had won free tickets to the Goo Goo Dolls, Collective Soul, & Tribe Society concert at the Maine State Pier.  We decided to wonder around the Old Port for a bite to eat before the show started.

We happened across the Blue Rooster Food Company which I had just read about somewhere because of their deep fried brussel sprouts, I had no interest in them.  What drew me in is when you get right down to it, they are a hot dog eatery and they serve tater tots!


After looking over the menu which is extremely unique, creative, and full of comfort goodness, I chose the Wagon Wheel Hot Dog while John went for a flat bread getting the Beefsquatch and we split a large order of Tot-tine, tater tots with cheese curd and gravy!


The Wagon Wheel is a Maine Family Farms natural casing beef & pork hotdog that is wrap in bacon and deep fried.  It is then nestled in, what looks to be an Italian roll cut in half that is lightly toasted then smothered in barbecue sauce, cheddar cheese, and fried jalapeno.  I opted to not get the jalapeno, it was delicious!


John loved his Beefsquatch, steak, salsa verde, lettuce, queso fresco, pico de gallo, crema, & cilantro wrapped in a flat bread.


The tot-tine was amazing!  The tots are deep friend to a crispy golden brown, and taking after the Canadian counterpart poutine, topped with real cheese curd from Pineland Farms and smothered in house made gravy.  Again, amazing! It tasted so darn good, with the curds all melty!

The thing is real poutine has cheese curds and in my opinion and other type of cheese is a waste of time and not worth eating, and should never be called poutine!

The seating area inside minimal with a few booths and a counter top on at the window with some stools, which is where we sat.  Beverage choices range from water to iced tea, beer, and more.


The prices ranged from fair to a bit high for me, but I am very frugal.  I would definitely come back again, I know the wife would love to go.

Thanks for reading, please take a moment to leave a comment and check out my other posts.

Later Readers!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Oscar Mayer Wienermobile

The Oscar Mayer Wienermobile debuted in 1936 when Oscar Mayer's nephew Carl Mayer built it. Since I was a little kid I have always ...