Monday, September 15, 2014

Hott Dogg House



The Hott Dogg House
170 Mt Vernon Ave
Augusta, Maine 04330
(207) 622-9761

The Hott Dogg House formerly Don’s Famous Franks has been a staple of Augusta for nearly 40 years on Mt. Vernon Avenue.  First opened in 1978 by Donald and Donna Genest the eatery is still in the Genest Family to this day.  I myself first visited in 1998 and have been going back ever since.

I’ve tried many items on the menu and have never been disappointed, generally though I stick with my standard order of two with mustard and a small fry.


They use a brown natural casing dog that is cooked on a flat top and then cradled in a warm, soft steamed New England style top split roll.  The French fries are my all-time favorite!  They are homemade crinkle cut that are twice fried for crispiness!  They come unsalted so you can dress them as you like


 
The last couple years Don’s revamped and renamed themselves the Hott Dogg House and now feature a few specialty dogs like the Dually Dog and the Beanie Dog and 12 combo meals to choose from.  Other than the name and the décor though, nothing else has changed.  The service is still friendly and fast, the food excellent, and the French fries are the best around.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Oscar Mayer Wienermobile

The Oscar Mayer Wienermobile debuted in 1936 when Oscar Mayer's nephew Carl Mayer built it. Since I was a little kid I have always ...