Monday, April 18, 2016

S. Fernald's County Store



50 Main St
Damariscotta, ME  04543
(207) 563-8484

Website / Facebook / Instagram

A co-worker of mine had told me about this fun Country Store in Damariscotta that she had gone to over the weekend with her husband called S. Fernald's County Store and that I would like it, and she was correct.

The wife and I decided to check it out on Saturday morning April 2nd. We both had been by it several times in our lives and never stopped in, which I regret because it is such an awesome store.


The inside is decorated with porcelain signs, Moxie memorabilia, old fashion candy all over the store, ice cream station featuring Round Top Ice Cream, and an outstanding delicatessen.


I was hoping to find frooties which I used to buy when I was a kid but alas they do not have them.  In fact the only place I have been able to find them in recent years was at Chutter's in Littleton, New Hampshire.

Frooties!!!
When I was a kid I found this catalog called "Things You Never Knew Existed and Couldn't Possibly Live Without" that I loved.  It was full of unique and awesome stuff.  It looks like S. Fernald's knows about the same catalog as they had some pretty cool toys and jokester stuff all over the store.  Kids have to love it.


They are open for Breakfast and Lunch and for coffee loves they have Rock City Coffee Roasters out of Rockland, my wife was quick to grab a cup.


My wife got a sandwich at the deli, and she loved it.  She built her own with ham, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, and a dill mustard mayo spread on wheat bread.


There are a lot of great looking signatures sandwiches available and several options with a build your own, which is what Katie did. Check out the menu.  They also have a fine chip and drink collection to accompany your sandwich.  You can even eat there in there limited table section.




This place clearly loves Moxie! Which is great as I love Moxie.  I really think the owners need to get in touch with Frank from Kennebec Fruit Company in Lisbon Falls and get his Moxie Ice Cream recipe.  It looks like Kennebec's is closing as the building has been put up for sale and someone needs to carry on the tradition of Moxie Ice Cream.

We'll go back again, no doubt about it.  Probably even grab a sandwich on the way to Pemaquid Point Lighthouse for a picnic on the rocks.

If you're in the area be sure to check them out.  You can find them on the internet:

Thanks for reading, please leave a comment if you have any questions.

Later Readers!

Update:  On April 17th we returned to Fernald's on out way to Pemaquid Lighthouse and grabbed a couple sandwiches.  Kate got the same sandwich that she had gotten before.  I built my own with smoked turkey, bacon, cheddar cheese, pickles, tomatoes, and that dill mustard mayo on wheat bread.  It was fantastic!



Here are some more photos of this great store....










No comments:

Post a Comment

Oscar Mayer Wienermobile

The Oscar Mayer Wienermobile debuted in 1936 when Oscar Mayer's nephew Carl Mayer built it. Since I was a little kid I have always ...